Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Bees Knees and a Christmas Mix

So, our Christmas album is finally recorded and mixed thanks to the hard work and discerning ear of Robert Cheek. Next Friday I hope to have the project mastered and then we'll go about getting the art done and the cd manufactured in time for the holidays.
I had a lot of fun finishing up the recording and mixing but the best experience I had was hearing some music by a new artist that absolutely floored me. Jules is a local Sacramento musician who goes by the name, "Sea of Bees". Now I don't know what it is about the word "bee" but many of my favorite albums have the word in it. From a recent favorite "The Bird and the Bee" album, to my favorite Soft Boys album, "Can of Bees", to the best Guided by Voices album, "Bee Thousand", I think it might be impossible to have a bad album with the word "bee" in it and I know that the "Sea of Bees" album will be no exception.

The story goes that while on break from recording with the band she's in as a side person, Jules was singing and strumming away on guitar when John Baccigaluppi, The Hangar studio owner and engineer, heard Jules and asked her if she'd like to make a record. And so they are.
I was privileged enough to be asked to come into the small recording room they were working in to hear some of the tracks they had in progress. I was blown away by the quality of the songs and Jules quirky, inviting voice. John's arrangements are inventive and perfectly frame Jules' voice and the songs. I've heard at least half the album now and can say that "Sea of Bees" has a big future ahead.

Fortunately, Luxury Wafers (awesome blogsite...check out the amazing bands, including one of my favorites, The Heartless Bastards) was able to film Jules performing a few of her songs live at The Hangar.

Here's my favorite:

Sea of Bees - Willis - Luxury Wafers Sessions from Luxury Wafers on Vimeo.

No comments: